ABC7NY Fire Safety Tips & Links


NEW YORK – Below are some facts and tips about fires, smoke alarms and smoke detectors.

Safety advice in the event of a fire alarm:

* Replace smoke detectors every 10 years. and carbon monoxide detectors every 5-7 years.
* Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home and in bedrooms.
* To help minimize the risk of CO poisoning, have a licensed professional inspect heating systems and other fuel-burning appliances annually and install CO alarms in your home.
* Never use ovens or stoves to heat your home. The result could be fatal.
* The only sure way to detect carbon monoxide in your home is to use a working CO alarm.
* Be sure to install CO alarms at least 15 feet from combustion appliances to help prevent false alarms.
* Do not turn off a smoke alarm in unexpected situations and never borrow batteries for other purposes.
* Develop and practice a fire escape plan with your family, so everyone knows what to do when the alarm goes off.

ABC7NY and Kidde are teaming up again this year to install thousands of smoke detectors in local homes through “Operation 7: Save a Life”. If you can’t afford a smoke detector, find out how to get one at no additional cost by contacting your local fire department.

Did you know?
You cannot see or smell carbon monoxide. The only sure way to detect this deadly gas in your home is to use a working CO alarm. Install one on every level of your home and in sleeping areas.
Most home fires start in the kitchen. Do you have a kitchen fire extinguisher handy when cooking? Otherwise, try Kidde’s new kitchen fire extinguisher. It features a special nozzle designed to minimize the risk of splashing and is the only UL Listed fire extinguisher for use with residential cooking equipment. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu. A wrong diagnosis can be fatal.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning death in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is produced every time a fuel is burned. Potential sources include gas or oil furnaces, water heaters, radiators, dryers, barbecues, fireplaces, wood stoves, gas ovens, generators and car exhaust.

* If anyone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide, get everyone to the fresh air and call 911 from a neighbor’s house. If no one is showing symptoms, call the fire department or a qualified technician from a neighbor’s house to have the problem inspected.
* If you cannot leave the house to seek help, open doors and windows and turn off all possible sources while you wait for help. Never ignore the alarm!
* According to the National Fire Protection Association, in one in five homes with smoke detectors none of the alarms are working, mainly due to dead or missing batteries.
* The risk of dying in homes without smoke detectors is twice as high as in homes with working smoke detectors.
* On average, families have less than three minutes from the time the first smoke alarm sounds to escape a fire.
* Underwriters Laboratories (UL), a third-party testing facility, requires an end-of-life warning to alert homeowners when their CO detector has reached the end of its useful life. Kidde has included this feature in their alarms since 2001. Don’t wait. Beat the beep!

Read the original article here

Disclaimer! Swiftheadline is an automatic aggregator around global media. All content is available free on the Internet. We just organized it into one platform for educational purposes only. In each content, the hyperlink to the main source is specified. All trademarks are the property of their rightful owners, all documents are the property of their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by e-mail – [email protected]. Content will be removed within 24 hours.

Facebook notice for the EU!
You must login to view and post FB comments!


Comments are closed.