Man shot dead by St. Clair Shores police charged with eight crimes – Macomb Daily

A man who was shot by St. Clair Shores police when he allegedly tried to run over officers about 10 days ago was charged with criminal charges Thursday while lying in a hospital bed.

Marquis Jalen Massey, 28, was arraigned by video from a local hospital by Judge Joseph Oster at the 40th District Court in St. Clair Shores on two counts each of felony assault, flight and police escape, assault on police officer and malicious destruction of police or fire property.

At approximately 9 p.m. on Friday, January 28, Massey fled in his vehicle from a traffic stop in Grosse Pointe Shores and was being pursued by St. Clair Shores police when officers were forced to shoot him, one of their shots hitting Massey, according to Macomb County Assistant District Attorney Brian Fox.

“They feared their lives were in danger,” Fox said in court during his remote appearance via Zoom video. “The defendant was clearly targeting these officers.”

Massey’s attorney, Kristina Joseph, said one of the shots hit Massey in the back.

During the hearing, Massey spoke up several times and Joseph repeatedly told him not to speak.

“I’m just a little messed up about everything,” Massey said. “I can’t go to jail like this.”

The incident began around 9 p.m. Friday when Massey drove out of Grosse Pointe Shores for an alleged traffic violation. St. Clair Shores police said they located his vehicle and began pursuing him. Massey drove to Revere Street east of Jefferson Avenue south of 10 Mile Road, a street that ends on the shore of Lake St. Clair, according to St. Clair Shores Police Detective Sgt. Brock Bowen.

“The defendant disobeyed all orders and ran into the officers as they stood outside their vehicles,” Bowen said. “(A police officer) had to move quickly out of the path of the defendant’s vehicle to avoid being hit. The accused also drove towards (a Grosse Pointe Shores officer) and collided head-on with a stationary patrol vehicle as it accelerated.

St. Clair Shores Police Detective Sgt. Brock Bowen appears via video for Marquis Massey’s arraignment Thursday at the 40th District Court.MACOMB DAILY PHOTO

A third officer also had to move to avoid being hit, Bowen said.

Massey got out of his vehicle and drove to a residence and put his hand on the handle, Bowen said.

Massey ignored verbal commands and resisted physical attempts to stop him, Bowen said. He was bitten by a Michigan State Police trooper’s police dog and tasered twice before being taken into custody, he said.

It is not known when he was hit by gunfire.

Bowen said two officers were injured: an officer from Grosse Pointe Shores injured his knee and was exposed to Massey’s blood, and an officer from St. Clair Shores injured his finger. The Grosse Pointe Shores officer attended the hospital and the St. Clair Shores officer sought treatment himself.

Oster went above and beyond Bowen’s request for $500,000 bail and set bail at $750,000 despite Joseph’s arguments for a much lower bail of $10,000 or $20,000, with the possibility to deposit 10%.

In seeking the top bond, Fox said Massey put officers and civilians at risk and demonstrated that he attempted to enter a residence during the incident.

Massey’s criminal history includes assault in 2018 with intent to cause grievous bodily harm or strangulation, receiving and concealing a motor vehicle in 2015 and 2016 and driving in 2014 with a suspended license, a said Fox. Massey also failed to appear for a hearing in one of his cases, he added.

Joseph, meanwhile, called a $500,000 bail “completely unreasonable” and noted that Massey had been shot after fleeing for a minor traffic violation.

“I don’t think my client’s actions are as egregious as being shot by officers,” she said, adding that he was in no danger of fleeing.

She said he had undergone several surgeries for his injuries and was facing a recovery period.

He is employed as a mechanic and upon his release would be residing with his father, she said. He also has a 1-year-old daughter and a 5-year-old son, she added.

The flight and escape charge carries a sentence of up to five years in prison, while each of the remaining charges carry a maximum sentence of four years behind bars.

Massey faces a probable cause conference on February 15.

Judge Joseph Oster of the 40th District Court presides over the arraignment of MaRquis Massey on Thursday.MACOMB DAILY PHOTO/JAMESON COOK

Comments are closed.